America’s Hidden Treasures Part 1

Many people, myself included, are fans of classic films. Whether it is from the Silent Era, or the Golden Age of Hollywood, these classics remain very popular today. However, there is one genre of film that sadly, remains almost forgotten today...the black race films of the early twentieth century. 

I just smiled a bit as I imagined many of you looking at those words and either scratching your head or asking yourself “What in the world is he talking about?”. Honestly up until around 2013, I would have been right there with you. But as I began researching topics for my Masters Thesis, I stumbled upon some information about these films. I was very intrigued by what I read, and even more so by the lack of information that was easily found. So with that in mind, I knew I had found my topic. 

Though I could go on and on about this subject, I’ll try to keep it short throughout this series of posts, hoping that I will be able to plant enough curiosity in someone’s head that they will want to learn more about these films that I refer to as America’s hidden treasure. And if you do want to learn more, please reach out to me and I will help any way I can. 

Movies have been very popular since the earliest films. Even in 1933, in the midst of the Great Depression, 60 million people attended the movies. But if one looks back and examines the movies of the time, it will be discovered that there were no African American actors or actresses in them.

Sadly, racism was a big part of our culture I. The early 1900’s, and racial stereotypes were the norm, especially in the movies. If a movie had a Latino character, they would e portrayed as a bandit. If there was an Asian cast, they would most likely be the laundry man or the waiter. And African American roles would be cast as the bell boy, maid, or even the dim witted character. To put it bluntly, there were plenty of black actors and actresses, but no one would cast them.

Even though racism and segregation was so prominent at the time, there were those who were not content to simply stand by and let these injustices go on. These talented men and women knew that they had too much to offer, and could not just sit around and remain silent.

Next time, we will start taking a look at some of the early difference makers, including Oscar Micheaux who is pictured below.










Comments

Popular Posts